“Faith is what connects the hunger of self to the hope of self that greater fulfillment lies ahead.”
Hello, I’m Shelley A. Hanson, a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) specializing in individual, couples and family psychotherapy. I have been in private clinical practice since 2004.
My clinical work includes: trauma; transitions; identity formation; relationship issues; ADHD in partner relationship; integration of values/faith worldview; toxic faith; grief; depression and anxiety.
In addition to my clinical work, I have presented at state and national levels on topics ranging from communication skill-building, shame in the family system, leadership, and supervision. I am actively involved in my professional association, the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
My clinical approach utilizes attachment theory, examining how connection or disconnection are impacting well being (John Bowlby). In addition to this, I seek to support my clients collaboratively to better understand stressors and even long-standing patterns of interaction that may or may not be serving their overall sense of well being. Therefore, my work is also informed by Dr. Sue Johnson (Emotionally Focused Therapy), appreciating the vital information that our emotions can provide for us in our attempt to create strong, safe relationships. With an integration of neurobiology and systems theory, I strive to help clients build on their strengths, to recognize ineffective patterns that may be preventing them from achieving life goals, and to help individuals, couples or families find a greater balance of relational health overall.
I hold a Masters Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy from George Fox University, Portland, Oregon. This education focused on the influences and impact of the systems one has lived in and currently lives within to both broaden the scope of understanding and to help understand an individual’s, couple’s, or family’s current struggles. I am a Qualified Mental Health Professional with competency in assessment, diagnosis and treatment planning. My undergraduate degree is in Human Development and Family Studies. Both my undergraduate and graduate coursework have focused on psychological and emotional development with special attention to attachment needs and relational dynamics within couples, families, and groups.
My ongoing education includes conferences, workshops, and readings on the far-ranging aspects of mental health and relational struggles from: Neurobiology, Trauma, Attachment, Relational Issues, to Ethics.
- Specialized, professional training in communication skill-training and conflict resolution through Interpersonal Communications, Inc.
- Specialized training in trauma-response and intervention.
- Specialized training in supervision with a systems and developmental focus.
- Specialized training in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing).
I am competent in American Sign Language, having served as an interpreter for a number of years. I am not taking signing clients at this time but would be happy to offer you referrals.
License & Certifications
- Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Oregon (C1888).
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapy in the state of Oregon (T0544).
- Certification as an Approved Supervisor by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
- Oregon State Approved Supervisor.
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Clinical Fellow of The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Adjunct Faculty at George Fox University, 2008-2018.
- Former President of the Board of Directors of the Oregon Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, a state division of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
- Board of Directors of AAMFT 1/2013-12/2015
- AAMFT Board of Directors President-Elect 1/2019-12/2020
- AAMFT Board of Directors President 1/2021-12/2022
My rate is $175 per 50 minute session.
I hold office hours Monday – Thursday from 1pm – 6pm.
Please contact me by clicking on the Appointment Request tab, then please type Shelley A. Hanson in the subject line of the email or email me directly at email@example.com
Thank you – I look forward to connecting with you soon.